In Anna Wintour’s Vogue “Letter From the Editor” in the November issue she talks about how fashion has reached a place of authenticity and realness. She mentions that there is still a place for “escapist fantasy” but it is a bit “out of step with the times.” I think the reemergence of the poncho as a trend is a perfect example of the point that Anna is making. While the poncho certainly makes a statement it still serves a practical purpose.
The poncho is by far my favorite cover-up for the season and is an excellent choice for layering. There is a variety of ways that it can be worn making it even more lovable. I’m showcasing one way below with this stunning plaid Theory poncho (it’s currently 30% off!) style over a sheath dress but let’s explore how to wear the poncho trend further.
- Watch your proportions: Play off the drama of an oversized poncho by keeping the other items you are pairing with it more fitted. For example, a sheath dress or skinny jeans. You don’t want to overdo it on the volume.
- Keep it casual: I love how a poncho gives you a little extra umph but is so incredibly EASY! Pair with some skinny jeans and knee-high boots or even some flares and wedges. It’s even a great option for rainy days! Just add some rain boots!
- Dress it up: There are also tons of dressier ponchos with embellishments, fringe and more that can be worn with dresses and are a stylish way to keep you warm at nice events.
- Go short: Having a warmer fall day? Pair your poncho with shorts or a skirt (just make sure your poncho isn’t longer than your bottoms).
- Belt it: I utilize belts all the time and love the look of a belted poncho! It brings the focus in to the waist but still gives you that boho chic look.
Shop This Post:
Photography Provided By:
Thank you to Neiman Marcus for partnering with me on this post.