While Daddy Russ and I were so blessed to be enjoying the snow in Aspen I couldn’t help but feel like part of me was missing.

I had this small void that was the size of my little man, Luke. I thought and prayed about him countless times during the trip.


So when we finally arrived back in town I drove as quickly as I could to Houston to pick him up from my Dad and stepmother. When I finally got him home I couldn’t stop squeezing that little boy who carries around my heart.

That next day every fiber of my soul just cherished getting him back in my arms. I could tell he was overjoyed to be with me as well. He followed me every moment in the day and when I’d sit down he’d climb up on my lap and put both of his little chubby hands on the side of my face and say cheerily a simple, “HI!”

text 1

The next day things took a 360 degree turn. Luke woke up moving slow and a bit fussy. As soon as I picked him up I knew he felt warm. After taking his temperature he had a low grade fever so I gave him some medicine and just started to watch it. We kissed Daddy Russ off who was heading to Dallas for a work trip and settled in to our day. The day was pretty normal until Luke woke up from his nap. I heard him tossing around in his bed so I went to get him and was astonished to feel how hot he was. I sat him on the couch with his blanket and looked at his poor little flushed face. Normally, he’d immediately get up and start running around but this time he just sat there for a minute and then slowly laid over pulling his blanket on top of him. “Something is wrong” my mommy brain said in alarm. I went to get the thermometer and was astonished to see that his fever was 103.2. My heart started beating quickly. Luke hardly EVER gets fevers and never more than a few degrees over 100. We’ve been so blessed that he hasn’t gotten sick very often (even after starting mother’s day out).


As I looked at that tiny little body just lying there on the couch staring at nothing my anxiety kicked in. I gave him his next dose of Tylenol and then cuddled him with the thermometer at hand. For maybe 30 minutes his fever went down and I started feeling a bit of relief. Then BAM – it skyrocketed back up even higher. He was acting very lethargic and started panting slightly as if he couldn’t catch his breath. I hugged him in my arms and could feel his little heart beating incredibly fast.

I immediately started praying for healing and picked up the phone to call the pediatrician. I recently had a friend whose toddler had a febrile seizure from a high fever and I couldn’t stop thinking about everything she had told me about the horrible experience. It was well after hours but my pediatrician had given me her cell number in case I ever needed her. I know I’ve said this many times before but I have to say it again. I HAVE THE BEST pediatrician (Dr. Bourland at Acorn Pediatrics). She picked up and began to calm this scared mommy down. Cool rags, switch between the Tylenol/Motrin, fluids, and call her back if it gets worse.


I placed my boy in bed next to me and he finally dozed off to sleep. There was no way he was going to sleep anywhere except right by my side. It was a long night and I don’t think either one of us got much sleep. He kept waking up moaning and tossing. His fever stayed pretty high during the night and was still high when we woke up so off to see Dr. Bourland we went. Poor baby…his throat was badly inflamed. But good news is…no strep or flu. So we are fighting through it right now. He’s been getting lots of extra lovin’ and attention.

I look back on how scared I was last night and it seems so silly now. I’m sure the first time high fever is frightening for all mothers. Each of us have been so blessed that God entrusted our children to us and we do all we can to protect them. I know we will have many more frightening times but I’m so grateful to have God by my side to wrap us in his arms.

This is my sTORI being written as you read. – Love, Mommy Tori

10 Responses

  1. Natalie

    First high fever is the worst, but they never get easy.

    Some tips from what has worked for us…start with Motrin 1st, it seems to work faster/better than Tylenol (but we still rotate, so they are constantly on meds). Strip Luke down to just his diaper and don’t cover him in blankets. You want the heat to leave his body, not be trapped in. But, if he starts to shiver cover him up because the shiver will start to make him hot again.

    And you will probably notice he is always hotter right after nap and during the night when he is sleeping. I’m not sure why that happens, but the fever is always at it highest then. Or at least that is what we have seen.

    Good luck this week! 🙂

    • tori@torijohnsonpr.com

      Thank you, Natalie!! These are GREAT tips!! I think we are passed the worst now. He seems completely fine today and hasn’t run fever since yesterday morning. I agree with you regarding Motrin. It does seem to work faster/better.

  2. Sara Phillips

    That is ROUGH! I am glad he is trying to feel better. Having a sick baby is no fun, and I am sure it’s not any better for them! Don’t look back and say it was silly, you did everything as any other mother would have!

    • tori@torijohnsonpr.com

      I think we are on the up and up! Thank you for the reassurances! Hope to catch up on some sleep this weekend!

  3. Colleen pence

    High fevers are always scary. I’m so glad Luke is doing better. He’s lucky to have such a wonderful, vigilant mom!

    • tori@torijohnsonpr.com

      Thank you, Colleen. It’s crazy how high kids fevers can get!

    • tori@torijohnsonpr.com

      He’s running around the house like a crazy man today so I think that’s a good sign!

  4. michelle

    Hugs to you Tori, I hate fevers. They tell you not to worry, but worry girl it’s always appropriate when it’s our own child.

    • tori@torijohnsonpr.com

      Thank you, Michelle. I think it’s just built in to us mommies to worry about our children. We just cherish them too much.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.