I love Flan! It’s smooth, not too sweet and the homemade caramel is scrumptious! Not to mention – it is so easy to make!
Here’s a Flan recipe that I’ve made several times and give it 5 stars each time! To view the original recipe click here.
- 1 cup and 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 13 oz cans evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. You will need 6 ramekins or other specialty flan cook ware and a large baking pan to put them in.
- Pour 1 cup sugar in warm pan over medium heat. Constantly stir sugar until is browns and becomes caramel. Quickly pour approximately 2-3 tablespoons of caramel in each ramekin, tilting it to swirl the caramel around the sides. Reheat caramel if it starts to harden.
- In a mixer or with a whisk, blend the eggs together. Mix in the milks then slowly mix in the 1/2 cup of sugar, then the vanilla. Blend smooth after each ingredient is added.
- Pour custard into caramel lined ramekins. Place ramekins in a large glass or ceramic baking dish and fill with about 1-2 inches of hot water. Bake for 45 minutes in the water bath and check with a knife just to the side of the center. If knife comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Remove and let cool. Let each ramekin cool in refrigerator for 1 hour. Invert each ramekin onto a small plate, the caramel sauce will flow over the custard.