I love sewing my own paper garlands! It’s so easy and you can customize for any party theme or color combination. Not to mention it’s a very affordable way to make some beautiful decorations!
Photo courtesy of A Shopping Queen’s Blog.
Photo courtesy of Paper & Stitch Blog.
- Sewing machine
- Hole punch or scissors
- Punch out of paper shapes for your garland. You can purchase large hole punches at your local craft store in all types of shapes. I recommend using cardstock so that it doesn’t tear when going through your sewing machine.
- Set up your sewing machine with a thread that is in the color combination of your selected paper. Set your machine on a straight stitch with the longest length possible.
- Place the first piece of paper on your machine just like fabric and then set the needle in it, forward stitch and then back stitch to set the thread.
- Continue sewing forwards slowly. When you get to the end of the first paper cut out you can either immediately feed another piece of paper in or you can continue sewing a few more stitches before placing the next one in order to space them out.
- When the garland is the length you want, lock the last piece of paper in place by forward and backward stitching.